This whole 30 pepper steak is a perfect dish for meal prep or a quick week night dinner! Although I’m not doing a round of whole 30 I still try to make my meals as compliant as possible especially while I am doing Weight Watchers and avoiding soy. This recipe is 4 Smart Points and goes well with rice or cauli rice. If you aren’t doing whole 30 you might not have all of these ingredients on hand so I’ve included some simple swaps. This Chinese “fake out” dish is a favorite in my house and I hope it will be in yours too!
Whole 30 Chinese Pepper Steak
Serves 4, 4 Smart Points per 4oz serving
16 oz thin sliced beef, cut with the grain into ~1″ strips (I use sirloin tip sliced for fajitas)
1/4 C coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce, you can add up to 1/2 C of coconut aminos without changing the smart points value)
1 TB rice wine vinegar
2 tsp arrowroot starch (or corn starch)
Splash of fish sauce (I like to use Redboat)
1/4-1/2 C beef broth
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place strips of beef onto a plate or shallow dish and coat with 1 tsp arrowroot starch, salt, and pepper, make sure its evenly distributed
2. In a small bowl, mix coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, and remaining arrrowroot starch.
3. Heat a nonstick or cast-iron skillet on medium high, lightly coat with oil of choice and brown beef for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
4. Add onions and peppers to pan and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return beef to pan, add beef broth scraping brown bits from the bottom of the span with a wooden spoon/spatula.
5. Add sauce to pan and bring to a slow boil to thicken sauce. Add a splash of fish sauce for a nice umami flavor. Let simmer for about a minute to thicken and stir to fully incorporate sauce.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or green onions (optional) to garnish and serve.